Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Projects

I knew at about half way through last year that I was so in love with my Weekly Leaf that I would be continuing on with it this year. There will be a few small changes, like color scheme and possibly some mixed media included, but overall the size will be the same 6 inch square with surface design and stitching. Here are a few of the fabrics in the pile for this year.

You will note that some are already printed and ready to go, I did a lot of extras last year. The difference in color will be some darker, stronger colors instead of the fairly light neutral and pale green from last year. (A few of last years lighter ones may slip in.)

This week I used the dark green and gold blueprinted one you can see above. This is one of the pieces of colored fabric treated with cyanotype chemicals that I purchased from Blueprints on Fabric. I did this print last fall, the leaves are from a plant I found near the waters edge at the local pond. I think they are from a noxious weed, but I was attracted to how very delicate they looked.


The above picture shows them on the fabric, under glass out in the sun printing. It took about twelve minutes in the sun. It was quite late in the fall so it is propped up to get the direct sunlight.

The print before stitching.

The Weekly Leaf week #1, year #2



Daily Stitching updates.

All of my daily stitching projects use something that I have on hand in my stash of stuff. This year I'm using four very light weight hand dyed shibori stitched silk scarves. These scarves and about ten others were given to me at least twenty years ago by the woman who dyed them. She had spent many years living in the Philippines and took various art class while there. She gave them to me because she knew I would find a way to use them. It has taken me a very long time to do so, but there's no turning back now.
These are the scarves, each one is about 34"sq. and very light weight. I got 64 4" squares from each one and have added the three hand dyed solid color pieces hanging on the bottom left and some plain black silk to get enough for the year. I fused flannel to the back of each scarf to give it some weight and body.


Then did a lot of cutting.
In the plastic container ready for the coming year. All I have to do now is add stitching.

#1- #6



I'm not sure what to call this one yet, Silky Geometry was one option, but I'm open to suggestions.

The Daily Paper #294- #299



Linked to "Off the Wall Friday"

4 comments:

  1. Love your leaves, I will be following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your leaves. I followed along all last year and I think you've inspired me to do a similar project this year. I'd like to do leaves but it feels like too much 'copy-cat'. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive organization.....love the whole idea of your leaves projects.....maybe I'll jump on board myself.....as you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you're continuing with the leaf project and you're off to a good start. Your friend knew what she was doing when she gifted you with those silk scarves. It looks like another wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete